Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Elliot, I'm thirty years old; I'm single, I'm homeless, and I'm pretty sure I just soiled myself.

I've heard about it, I've read about it, I've even seen an episode of Scrubs about it, but until recently I had yet to observe the phenomenon personally. Apparently, something about turning over another decade sends people into panic mode. TT starts his fourth decade of living in just a few days, which prompted him to indulge his personal crisis by suddenly fleeing the state. I'm sure that he would prefer that this trip is viewed as a spontaneous vacation - one of the benefits of being single. However, the truth is that he's running away from reality, if but for a week.

What gives? KBD (my girlfriend that is kinda a big deal) is turning thirty just days after TT. Not only is she not at all bothered by this fact, she is fabulously looking forward to being thirty, and is appropriately reinventing herself by going to grad school. I will say that thirty is different in the church (KBD is not a Yummy). Thirty means you are this close to being kicked out of the YSA ward. Plus, growing older and staying single for men has some menace to society connotations, that I'm sure TT would like to avoid. But did he also intend to avoid the nebulous plans that we had brewing to get together this week? Of course nothing was set in stone, and it was not a date, as I am not viable for another 39 days (not that I'm counting). He didn't break our plans, just postponed them, claiming that the wait would make it that much more exciting! I'm not going to lie, I was pretty excited already, as he is a pretty exciting person. And pretty dreamy. And nice. And, I could go on.

Excitement, dreaminess, niceness et cetera notwithstanding, I can see that TT is feeling like a bit of a big fat failure as he is turning thirty, single, and unemployed (in the traditional sense - he doesn't have a 9 to 5). At least he's not homeless. And I really hope he hasn't soiled himself.

No comments: