Wednesday, August 20, 2008

RED FLAG DATING

I have to apologize. I have been the all-time WORST blog partner! So sorry C! The thing is. I have been ridiculously busy having lots of fun/drama since my divorce was final on July 23rd. Plus, I'm moving, getting ready for fall semester, and took a road trip to Utah in July. So I guess I should update you on what I've been up to. I hope it's not boring. I will try to make it interesting.

I went out to dinner with a couple of single girl friends about a week before my divorce was to be final. Well, I was getting seriously anxious for it all to be over and to FINALLY get to at least have male friends and hang out. So, my friends suggested I get on LDSMingle.com. So I did that night. Well, the next day I was contacted by a not so bad looking guy. We'll call him... lemme think. How about The Lame One? I think I'll call him "Lame" for short because I think I've decided that the initials are semi-difficult to keep straight. So anyway, we started emailing back and forth, and he seemed like a really nice guy. I mean actually he is a nice guy (sort of) but... there were some major RED FLAGS that I basically ignored. Why did I do this? Well, because maybe I just wanted a date the day my D was final? Because I needed a rebound relationship before really getting down to business? I don't know! All I'm saying is, I'm glad that I got my rebound relationship over with, and that it was with someone I really could/would never marry. So, we decided to go out to lunch, just as friends before my D was final, (please don't judge, I mean, go ahead if you must) and we did, and I was fairly impressed with Lame. Here's the "impressive" description: Tall, OK looking (though not my type), Lawyer & Professor, House in Costa Rica, BMW, Good Dad, Lakers Tickets!! So far, so good, right? And I met him on an LDS singles website, so yeah... what could really be wrong with this guy?

OK back up... The first email he sent me, which should have been my first clue not to bother: "Who do you prefer: Steve Miller or the Scorpions?" What the freak. Well, of course I'm not like, 100 years old, so I don't like either. That should have been my first clue that it wasn't going to work out! I mean. I'm no spring chicken, but I still like good music and I'm so not stuck in a time warp! So, I would call that RED FLAG #1: OLD BORINGNESS. So, I'm like, "I'm guessing you are joking but, If I HAD TO choose I guess I would pick the Scorpions." Well, long story short, 3 weeks later, I found myself at THE MOST BORING CONCERT OF ALL TIME: Steve Miller Band. UGH! That's another story entirely. So, the reason we didn't go to the Scorpions was... the concert was on Sunday and I'm kind of strict about Sundays, and if I'm going to break the Sabbath, it's definitely NOT going to be for the freakin' SCORPIONS! What??? Oh goodness. RED FLAG #2: BREAKING THE SABBATH FOR A SUPER LAME CONCERT.

So, we went out for a couple of weeks, and I noticed pretty immediately that he would always make a joke, or change the subject when I tried to talk about spiritual things. So, for some reason, I could tell that he wasn't really living the standards, let's just say. So, I told him that under no circumstances would I get married outside the temple. And so, I asked him straight out... do you wear your g's? And he's like, no. And i'm like RED FLAG! RED FLAG! RED FLAG! in my mind. He explained why, and it's super lame so I'm not going into it, because I'm basically sick of the subject. But still, I wanted to give him a chance because I really believe that people can make mighty changes in their lives, so I continued to try and bring up the subject of getting back to the temple etc, and well. He just finally realized I think, that he really isn't interested in that. Long story short... suddenly OUT OF NOWHERE... complete email, phone, and text silence. Like for real. Happened overnight. And I have to say... I didn't really care. I mean... I didn't cry over it (and I am the biggest bawl-baby). He just wasn't right for me. RED FLAG #3: NO TEMPLE RECOMMEND AND NO DESIRE TO GET ONE. So, I got over that one pretty quick, and I'm actually really happy to be out of that relationship. OH! I forgot. Also, he kept bringing up the subject of sex. I mean really, he couldn't shut up about it. AND he was constantly trying to get in my pants. Well... he wasn't successful, but I would call that RED FLAG #4: OBSESSED WITH SEX, NOT OBSESSED W/THE GOSPEL. So I'm glad to be rid of him, because I was soooo conflicted about him because of his lack of spirituality and other things to be frank. That confliction (not a word probably) was making me crazy, and I never REALLY felt good about him. He looked good on paper, but really, not my type. Note to Lame: good luck finding a better girl than me. For real. I'm not even kidding.

Moral of the story: Don't ignore RED FLAGS. They are there for a reason. To protect you.

So, in the meantime, I met this other guy. We are just friends because yes... he is also young, like TYO (the young one). But I must confess, I have a ridiculous crush on him. He is perfection. He's hilarious, cute, tall, fun, cool, spiritual and smart. Oh Boy. There is a long story about him, but it will have to wait till next time because I have a MILLION things to do today. No lie.


2 comments:

Complication said...

1) Welcome back!
2) I am so proud of you for not overlooking those seriously red red flags. He really personified the "really unhealthy" part of the RURR (really unhealthy rebound relationship).
3) I'm clearly still in love with acronyms. It's simply a part of the complicated lady that is Complication.
4) I'll pass along the same advise that my Bishop gave me; don't settle. You deserve much more than the freak that is Lame.
5) Enjoy TYO2.0, and then possibly send him in my direction in 39 days (not that I'm counting). That is if I'm not in a RURR myself. Haha.

Anonymous said...

I'd love the hear the super-lame excuse for not wearing his g's, if you can muster the strength to tell it one more time.

What is a guy like that doing on an LDS site anyway?